Construction Law/Sub-CLause 13.7

Dear Sir,

During the Contract Period, Government has imposed a new Sales Tax on Construction Services provided by the Contractor. The Contractor has notified the Engineer under Sub-Clause 13.7 & 20.1 GCC (FIDIC MDB Harmonized Conditions) after 6 months of legislation. In accordance with Sub-Clause 20.1, the Contractor has to notify the Engineer within 28 days after the event occur (which in our case 6 month before occur).
Further Sub-Clause 13.7 GCC states “After receiving this notice, the Engineer shall proceed in accordance with Sub-Clause 3.5 [Determination] to agree or determine this matter”.
My questions are as follows:

(i)   Has the Employer discharged from his responsibilities in connection with the claim? because the Contractor has notified 6 months after the event occur.
(ii)   If Employer is not discharged from his responsibilities, then when the event is considered to occur. Either (a) when notice received or (b) 28 days before the date of submitting notice or (c) when the actual event occurs?
(iii)   On what basis the Engineer has to determine the cost or time in accordance with Sub-Clause 3.5 when only the Contractor has given notice and not submitted the fully detailed claim?
(iv)   Is the last paragraph of Sub-Clause 20.1 GCC has any effect on Contractor entitlements in the subject case?
your expert opinion is requested.  

Dear Umer Shabbir,

Time bar clause are causing a lot of problems, especially in the courts.  I would be generous in this case as the Government has imposed a new Sales Tax and the Employer could be accused of unjust enrichment if he refuses the claim.  The notice might have been published six months before, but when did the tax actually come into effect?  When did the Contractor actually realise that he had to pay the tax?  

The Contractor could have been challenging the new tax and only recently realised that he must pay it.  I would be generous and say that the event was just before the notice.  

The Engineer could refuse the claim within 42 days stating exactly why he is refusing - due to insufficient information and stating the information needed.  Alternatively he could ask for receipts of the tax paid.  

The last paragraph is a fall back due to delayed presentation of information by the Contractor.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering