Construction Law/Taking Over Certificate

Question
Dear Sir,

FIDIC MDB Harmonized Conditions are being implemented in our Contract. In accordance with the Sub-Clause 10.1 of GCC, the Engineer shall issue TOC for the Works when they are completed in accordance with the Contract, except for any minor outstanding work which will not substantially affect the use of the Works for their intended purpose.
Is the Intended Purpose has to be defined in the Contract or it has to be interpret from the Contract like design reports? Actually I am working on a Barrage Project which includes Rehabilitation and Upgradation of Barrage and Head Regulators. The Contractor has demanded TOC for some part of the Barrage which is substantially completed but nothing in Contract defined its intended purpose. In my point of view almost all parts are inter-related with each other in respect of design and discharge of the barrage and TOC for any part cannot be given until and unless all Works are completed.

In this regard your expert opinion is solicited.  

UMER SHABBIR

Answer
Dear Umer,

The main advantage, of a partial ToC to the Contractor, is a reduction in the potential for delay damages and a reduction in the responsibility for insurance.  In the absence of any direction within the Contract, it is normal to take a relaxed view of partial ToC's.  A refusal to issue a partial ToC could be interpreted as vexatious if the case went to arbitration, which would expose the Employer to extra costs.  The barrage can probably fulfil it's intended purpose of storing water without the head regulators.  The head regulators are probably there to control the level of storage and regulate downstream flows.  

Take a building.  If five out of 13 floors were complete, then a partial taking over certificate could be issued.  If 13 floors were complete, but the main electrical fuse was missing then a ToC would not be issued.  

I suggest that you tread softly and minimise any conflict.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott