Construction Law/Taking Over Certificate sub-CLause 10.2

Dear Sir,

FIDIC MDB Harmonized Conditions are being implemented in our Contract. In accordance with the Sub-Clause 10.1 of GCC, the Engineer shall issue TOC for the Works when they are completed in accordance with the Contract, except for any minor outstanding work which will not substantially affect the use of the Works for their intended purpose.
Is the Intended Purpose has to be defined in the Contract or it has to be interpret from the Contract like design reports? Actually I am working on a Barrage Project which includes Rehabilitation and Upgradation of Barrage and Head Regulators. The Contractor has demanded TOC for some part of the Barrage which is substantially completed but nothing in Contract defined its intended purpose. In my point of view almost all parts are inter-related with each other in respect of design and discharge of the barrage and TOC for any part cannot be given until and unless all Works are completed.
In this regard your expert opinion is solicited.  

Dear Umer

Thanks for the question. TOC for any section or Part can only be issued by the Engineer if such Section has been defined in the Contract.

It is always better to define the "Intended Purpose". In case it is not defined then the Engineer will use its prudence and best engineering practice to ascertain the intended purpose. You have rightly defined the intended purpose for the Barrage Project and TOC for whole of the Works should not be issued unless this intended purpose is achieved. However for parts or Sections, the issuance of TOC will depend only on how that part or section is defined in the Contract.

I hope the question is answered.

Abdul Majid Khan  

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan

I am interested in questions related to time Extension, Liquidated Damages,variations, price adjustments,payments, disputes and Dispute Board under FIDIC IV, FIDIC 1999 and FIDIC 2006 Harmonized Documents.

I have been heading the Construction Management Division and Contract Divisions of National Engineering Services Pakistan (PVT) Limited, NESPAK, the largest Consulting Engineering Firm in Pakistan, for more than seven years and two years respectively. I have also worked as "The Engineer" on a number of projects. I have been working in Saudi Arabia for about seven years on a road projects. Additionally I worked as Arbitrator and am member of few Dispute Boards in individual capacity on Asian Development Bank funded projects.

Inland and in Middle East. I have worked with National Engineering Services Pakistan (Pvt) Limited (NESPAK)as my Employer for more than 27 years in Pakistan. In Saudi Arabia I worked for Rashid Engineering, Consulting Engineers during 80s. After retirement I provided advisory services to NESPAK on technical and contractual matters to its various divisions and lately I was appointed as Advisor to Managing Director NESPAK on Technical and Contractual matters. Currently I work as Free Lance Contract Specialist on Fidic Form of Contracts.

I am a graduate with a B.E (Civil Engineering) degree. My year of graduation is 1970.

A few appreciation Letters and Honorariums during my service in NESPAK. I remained member of Administrative Committee and Board of Management of NESPAK. I had been part of the Management Committee in the absence of Managing Director.

Most of the Clients used to be Government Departments, Corporations and Authorities. In Saudi Arabia the Client was Ministry of Communications. As Arbitrator and Dispute Board (DB) member, I provide services to various Government Departments and Contractors.