Construction Law/Delay Damages

I am working with the consultant firm on a contract based on FIDIC 1999 conditions of Contract. The Contractor has failed to complete the Works within the Scheduled Time for Completion and time is at large. The Employer has notified under Sub-Clause 2.5 for deduction of Delay Damages. Sub-Clause 8.7 states that “ the Contractor shall subject to notice under Sub-Clause 2.5 pay delay damages to the Employer for this default”. My questions are as follows;

(i)   Should the Delay Damages be deducted just by passing the Scheduled Time for Completion or the Employer has to wait until the issuance of TOC for the Works which will define the delay period?

(ii)   If the Delay Damages are deducted before issuance of TOC and then afterward an EOT is awarded, then the Contractor is to be entitled for the compensation of the deducted amount for the awarded time period?

ANSWER: Dear Umer,

(i) Delay damages may be deducted from each IPC, if the Employer so instructs, once the Time for Completion has expired.  The Employer does not need to wait for the ToC.  

(ii) If an EoT is awarded after the expiry of the Time for Completion, then a new Time for Completion is applicable.  If Delay Damages have been deducted, then they must be repaid for the appropriate period, together with compensation in accordance with the applicable law (interest or finance charges).

I am concerned that you state that 'time is at large'.  Just because the Time for Completion has expired, it does not necessarily mean that time is at large.  Also if time is truly at large, then delay damages cannot be applied.

Thanks for the answer, I would be more thankful if you explain the term "Time at Large" in context of Commom Law and FIDIC.

UMER Shabbir

Dear Umer,

Why do you use terms if you do not understand them, or at least research them?  

I suggest that you look at the following website

If you need further information, then google 'time at large'

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering