Construction Law/FIDIC GOLD BOOK

Question
dear Mr. ELLIOTT,
I need to know please if we can use the gold book for waste water treatment plan in the  contract  with 3 years operation and maintenance only?.and what are the incovenience for such decison? or am i obliged by the provisions of the gold book to 20 years ?
than you so much
we really appreciate your help

Answer
Dear Rash,

Of course you may.  The Gold Book is designed for design build operate projects where the Contractor provides finance, but there is no reason why should not use it for a 3 year design build with only 3 years of operation and maintenance.  I proposed doing the same thing for a project in Syria some years ago.  You need to read the clauses carefully to highlight the differences with the Yellow Book to highlight the operate and maintenance obligations.  

Good luck with your project and please let me know how you get on.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott