Construction Law/Construction work without authorization

I recently was looking to get some work done on my roof.  I called several companies trying to get quotes and other information about best possible solution as I am a roofing novice.  The company in question stated they would get someone to the house in a couple of days to do look at the roof and give me an estimate.  

When I get home after work of the day they were supposed to do the estimate I noticed they had already completed the work I was inquiring about without any work order or authorization.

I contacted the company expressing my dissatisfaction with this practice and was checking to see what they would do to compensate the situation.  The response I received was that I got the work I was looking for and am subject to pay full cost or they will come back and undo all of the work they had previously done.

I was just wondering what rights I have seeing as they did the work without any consent and are looking at coming back and tearing up the already done work since I won't pay for the work I did not authorize.

Dear Lee,

Thank you for your question.

I am not familiar with the law in your state - I actually live halfway accross the globe, hence you may need to contact a locasl lawyer.

But at a first glance, based on provided information, you did not consented for them to do any work and you did not accept any financial offer, hence you should not be liable to pay.

Secondly, it looks to me, they have entered your property without hour permission, that`s trespassingand they seem tk be willing to do it again!

As such, I believe you might even sue them for that.

Hope that helps.

Construction Law

Questions related to Civil Engineering Contracts, using FIDIC or other Conditions of Contract, concerning Procurement procedures and documents (pre-qualification, tendering and contracting) and Services/ Works Contracts implementation matters including Determinations, Payments, Time Extensions, VOs, Claims/Disputes. Additionally, questions related to dealing with International Financing Institutions. Can also answer questions in Romanian. Can not answer improperly formulated questions.

Over 20 years of experience in the field of design, works supervision, construction, management of aid funds and technical assistance for various types of contracts implementation, including severe conflictual contractual situations leading to Claims and disputes. Claims/ Contract management, Disputes adjudication, Arbitration.

Member of Romanian Professional Association of Roads and Bridges; Listed on President's List of Adjudicators of Romanian Association of Consulting Engineers Former member of the Disputes Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF) of United States – nominee on DRBF President’s Disputes Board Members List and of DRBF Chapter for Eastern Europe Former member of Polish Association of Consulting Engineers (SIDiR) – nominee on SIDiR President’s Disputes Board Members National List Member of “” volunteers pool Member of the "Constructions Disputes Resolution Services” International Panel of Construction ADR Specialists" of United States

- Graduate in 1994 the Construction Institute - Graduate of several FIDIC,Procurement and other courses - Graduate of first Disputes Board Members Mentoring Scheme ( - FIDIC Accredited Adjudicator

- Several State organisations/Ministries , such as Ministry of Transport, National Admistration of Roads, Ministry of Regional Development (former Ministry of European Integration), Public Works and Housing, Central Contracting and Financing Unit in Romania and also in Turkey, Croatia and Macedonia - Numerous Western based private consultancy companies - full CV and other relevant information available at