Construction Law/engineers instruction EI

Question
When can be EI used

Answer
Dear Suresh,

Thank you for your question.

EI i.e. Engineer's Instruction can be used in so many ways and at various times under a Construction Contract. Most standard forms of Contracts like FIDIC suites, give a helpful definition of what EI is and when it can be used. According to these contracts, EI can be used for proper execution of the works which could take the following forms:
1. To ensure Contractor's compliance to the works requirement
2. To effect a change in quantity, quality and workmanship related to the works
3. For guidance and approvals or determination on works to be executed
4. For expenditure of PC sums and or Provisional sums' scope of works
5. For removal of substandard materials or works not in accordance with the contract.
6. For suspension of works as may be necessary.

I will advise that you can scan through any of the FIDIC suites and you would get more understanding of this. Let me say here finally, that, not all EI would constitute a variation with cost and time implications.

I hope i am able to clear your doubt?

Thank you.
Femi  

Construction Law

Femi Alofe