Construction Law/Extra Work After Issuance of Taking over Certificate

Question
Dear Sir,
We have executed a highway project assisted with Asian Development Bank under FIDIC Multilateral Development Bank Harmonized Edition June 2010 in Pakistan.
Work was completed year ago and Engineer issued taking over certificate under clause 10.10 on 22 May 2013, with a defect liability period of one year i.e. 21 May 2014.
During defect liability period all the outstanding works mentioned TOC and defects arise after TOC was remedying at site. We have applied for issuance of performance certificate on under Clause 11.9 on 21st May 2014, but engineer couldn't issue performance certificate.
Meanwhile Deck Slab of an old bridge (on our reach) was partial collapse after ending of DLP. Now on 1st July 2014 (after 40 days of ending DLP) Engineer issued an instruction to do an additional works (Repair of old bridge) which was not in our original scope of work and also not mention in outstanding works of TOC.
The Engineer has said that we couldn't issue Performance Certificate until you executed this extra / additional work, because this bridge is located on your section & your DLP were extended upto when you complete the additional works.
My question is that is Engineer have any authority to instruct us to do the work which was not mention in TOC or Scope of Work.
Kindly advise us that now what can we do, either there is any binding on us to follow the Engineer instruction.

Thanks & Regards.

Hamid Naveed

Answer
Dear Hamid Naveed

Thanks for your question. Sub Clause 13.1 clearly states,"Variation may be initiated by the Engineer at any time prior to the issuance of TOC of the Works..........". This means that the Contractor is only bound by any such instruction for variation issued prior to TOC. Therefore any such instructions issued during the DLP (or DNP) has no contractual binding on the Contractor.

However, the contractor should not refuse to carryout such work under a new contract especially when the old bridge is located in your area although not in your scope.

I hope the question is answered.

Regards

Abdul Majid Khan

Construction Law

Abdul Majid Khan