Construction Law/Construction Law, FIDIC, Repayment of the advance under Clause 14.2

Question
Repayment of the advance under Clause 14.2
In certificate nr 7 the Contractor's interim payments have reached 10% of the Accepted Contract Amount and repayment of the advance will commence.  The Contractor has calculated the repayment amount as 15% (PC) of the value of IPC nr 7 (the net certificate value).  The Engineer, however, calculated as 15% of the value of Certificates 2-7 inclusive (the cumulative certificate value; NB: IPC nr 1 was the advance)  stating that deductions shall be made at the rate stated of the amount of EACH Interim Payment Certificate (excluding )

Who is right, the Contractor or the Employer?

Answer
Dear Slobodan,

Thank you for your question.

I will like to let you know that the Engineer is correct. Deduction of advance payment recovery is calculated based on cumulative valuation. In your circumstance,  what I guess you are referring to is the moratorium period which in some cases could be agreed to allow the Contractor to work and earn sufficient sums on work done prior to amortization of the advance payment.  This is a gesture to aid a good cash flow for the Contractor.

I do hope this clarifies your doubts.

Thanks.
Femi

Construction Law

Femi Alofe