Construction Law/FIDIC Red Book 1999_Clause 18. Insurance

Question
Dear Peter

The Employer has a case where the Contractor (a unincorporated JV of 2 companies) is asking if they can provide separate insurence policies. Namely each JV memeber wants to give a separate CAR and also Third Party Liability policy.

We are of the opinion that specific Contractors “All Risks” (CAR) insurance is taken out in the name of the JV Partners so that only one policy of insurance provides cover for the JV’s works.

However we want to check what speaks against the Contractors proposal.

Many thanks for your answer.

Answer
Dear James,

I think that the answer to this question has more to do with insurance law and practicalities than FIDIC Conditions of Contract.  I presume that the partners want separate insurance to reduce costs.  

Generally, when a JV is accepted, then one party is nominated as the lead party for all contractual matters, even if both parties are jointly and separately liable.  I would look for insurance policies in the name of the JV or the lead partner.  My main reason is simplicity of operation.  If there is a claim, the insurers could deny liability, stating the risk was already covered by the other insurer.  Then you have to wait for that problem to be resolved before the claim is resolved.  One partner might deny responsibility for an injured workman on the basis that he was covered by the other partner's policy, or was due to the other partner's negligence, or was employed by the other partner resulting in delay and confusion.

For me, it is a matter for the JV agreement not for the FIDIC contract.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott