Construction Law/Idling of resources

Dear Sir,
My question is related to under utilisation of resources or idling of resources. It's an item rate contract and let's assume in a 30 months project there was a delay of three months on various account not attributable to MC & Client also  agreed and granted three months EOT without imposing any LD. Contract is clear about time extension but not very specific about financial compensation. In this situation we , as MC, likes to make a financial claim against "Idling of Resources" or "Underutilisation of resources" during the slow period. How to quantify our claim ? How to make our claim logically strong and viable ? Is there any standard method / code of practice to follow ? If you kindly advise,  thanks & regards - Kallol Seal , Kolkata , India.

Dear Kallol,

You do not mention the form of contract, nor the applicable law, so the following comments will be general in nature.  

In the first place, you need good records of the actual plant on site that was compliant and operational. Hopefully these records will be on a daily basis and agreed with the Engineer.  You also need evidence of the expected and actual output of the plant.  Then you calculate the non-productive time.  Once you have the non-productive time, you calculate the cost of the non-productive time, including fixed costs, such as labour and depreciation or financing, but no running costs such as fuel or maintenance.  

If you google using the keywords 'construction idle plant costs', you will find several articles on the subject.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering