Construction Law/Construction law

Question
Dear Expert,
A FIDIC MDB 2006 version Contract, English law.
Q:The Contractor submits his quote for a variation based on the quote submitted to him by a sub contractor. The sub contractor has included a mark up (OH & Profit)of 25 %. The main contractor added another 25% on the sub contractor's quote which already has 25%. Is the main contractor entitled to claim profit on the profit of his sub contractor? can he claim a mark up on the OH of his sub contractor? This amounts to paying 56.25% mark up by the Employer.
Thank you for your expert openion.
Mututantree

Answer
Dear Mututantree,

The short answer is yes.  It is right that the Contractor should add OHP to the quotation provided by his subcontractor.  He has done it for all other goods and services provided under the Contract.  The difference is that it is obvious in this case, but not so obvious in his original tender.  

The longer answer is that I would ask him and his subcontractor to justify the OHP percentage.  25% could be a little high.  I would suggest 15% in both cases.  Depending on the value of the item, it might be worth asking for a detailed breakdown.  If it is a relatively small item, then I would accept it, but tell the Contractor that I am watching him and to be careful in future, but that all depends on the personalities involved.  

Consider the Contractor's duties.  He has to provide services to the subcontractor, including insurance, watching and lighting, perhaps canteen and other social support.  He may have to pay the subcontractor and then wait for you to pay him.  He has to correct any faulty work by the subcontractor.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott