Construction Law/Contractual Payment Issue

Question
Contract Copy
Contract Copy  

Contract copy
Contract copy  
Dear Sir,

Please find enclosed our contractual agreement for commercial and residential project in Abu Dhabi, UAE. With reference to the attached contact clause no. 3.1, 3.3, 3.4.b and 02 pages No 85 we want to know the payment to consultant as per approved contract period of 26 months.

1) What is the liability of consultant supervision fee for 26 Months,  If project in delay?

Thank You,

Velmurugan

Answer
Dear Velmurugan,

Someone tried to be clever and did not succeed.  If the contractor finishes in 26 months, then you pay the consultant his total fee of 2.25% of the construction value.  If the construction is delayed and the Contractor completes only say 75% of the work, they you will have paid 75% of the Consultant's fee, and will be due to pay him at a man-day rate until the work is complete.  Of course, it could depend on the reason for the delay.  If it is an Employer risk, then the Employer pays.  If it is a Contractor risk, then the Contractor pays the extra over 25%.  The question is 'How many people does he need on the site to supervise it during completion?'  I suggest that the cost of supervision will amount to about 2.25% of the Contractor's monthly output, or close to.  It could be that the remaining fees would be adequate to cover the cost of supervision.  It all depends on other clauses in the Contract, especially about any supervision during the defects notification period.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott