Construction Law/Lump sum Project Variation

Question
QUESTION: Dear sir,

We done a pipe laying project in Bahrain is lump sum project. When we doing the project the pipe invert levels changed from tender drawings. we had to go more deep and construct trust blocks larger than tender drawings.

Can we claim that additional excavation and concrete quantities.

ANSWER: Dear chamara,

You do not mention the form of contract, so the following remarks are generic.

I doubt it very much, unless you can prove that the original design was deliberately incorrect.  Lump Sum means Lump Sum, with the Contractor taking all the risks for any inaccuracy.

QUESTION: in tender drawings the pipe laying profile shown invert level are changed in construction stage. we can't foreseen that in tender stage and we are priced based on tender drawings.
Why we can't claim variation for this issue. the fidic 87 condition of contract used.

Answer
Dear Chamara,

I regret that I cannot be more helpful, but it depends on the exact wording of the Contract and the method of issuing the drawings.  There are many problems with the use of FIDIC 4 as the basis of a lump sum contract.  If the drawings were sent with no instruction, then you should not have worked to them.  If you were instructed to work to the construction drawings, then it is possible that you could make a claim based on the changes in the Employer's Requirements.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott