Construction Law/QUANTITY SURVEYING AND ESTIMATION

Question
DEAR SIR I AM A JUNIOR QUANTITY SURVEYOR, I AM WORKING AT QATAR I NEED IMPROVEMENT ON THIS INDUSTRY I DIDN'T GET THAT MUCH KNOWLEDGE/ SATISFY FROM MY CURRENT JOB SO I NEED STUDY LITTLE MORE THING ABOUT ESTIMATION AND QS IN CIVIL CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY CONDITION OF CONTRACT CESSM 3  POMI , I HEARD ABOUT THESE THINGS BUT REALLY I DoNT KNOW ABOUT THESE THINGS WHAT IS THE WRITE OF WAY TO MY FUTURE PLEASE EXPLAIN ME?

many thanks for your help

Answer
Dear Jaleel
Hello
I am trying to answer your query regarding  CESMM 3 & POMI are the principles and method of measurements in international Civil Engineering contracts. Every country has own method of measurements but half of the company has adopted the these principles and method of measurements for Global contracts.In addition to being contract neutral, reference to British Standards has been largely eliminated facilitating the use of
CESMM4 on construction projects across the world.CESMM4 is the fourth edition of CESMM (Civil Engineering Standard Method of Measurements).
POMI (Principles Of Measurements International ) is not in detail so take less time to prepare the bill of quantities whereas CESMM takes more time as the method is in detailed.
The objects of bills of quantities are: (POMI)

1. To assist in the accurate preparation of tenders, by providing for measurement of quantities on a uniform basis.

2. To provide a basis for the financial control of a project, in accordance with the conditions of contract.

3. Bills of quantities shall describe and represent the works to be carried out; work which cannot be measured accurately shall be described as approximate or given in bills of approximate quantities.

4. Conditions of contract, drawings and specifications shall be provided with the bills of quantities.

5. The section headings and classifications do not impose restrictions upon the format and presentation of bills of quantities.

The objects of the Bill of Quantities are, (CESSM3)

(a)   to provide such information of the quantities of work as to enable tenders to be prepared efficiently and accurately
(b)   when a Contract has been entered into, to provide for use of the priced Bill of Quantities in the valuation of work executed.
The other methods SMM7 which is generally used for commercial & residential elements whereas CESMM focused on Civil Engineering.
For your future , become yourself conversant with international methods of quantity survey/estimation with close study of related methods and literatures.  

I hope this all will help to you.
With best regards

SANJAY KHANDELWAL

Construction Law

Sanjay Khandelwal