Construction Law/Valuation of Variations - Clause 52.1 FIDIC

Question
Dear Sir

Under a FIDIC contract clause 52.1 valuation of variations. It is stated in item (a) that BOQ rates will be used if in the opinion of the Engineer those rates are applicable.

Does this mean that if any BOQ rate appears to be incorrect or exaggerated, the Engineer may change when valuing a variation, even if the varied work is an additional quantity of the exact item in the contract? i.e. no change in the specification which may invite adjusting the rate.

Answer
Dear Moataz,

If those rates are applicable in 'the logic of the Contract', then they remain unchanged.  In other words, the rates can be varied if the nature or type of the work has been varied, but not otherwise.  If the original rates were for manual digging of holes and the excavation has increased so that the holes can be excavated using machines, then the rate can be changed.  The Engineer cannot change the rates just because they appear incorrect or exaggerated in his opinion.  Would you increase a rate if the Contractor appeared to have misplaced the decimal point and the rate was 10 times too small?  The ruling case on this subject is Henry Boot Construction Ltd v Alstom Combined Cycles Ltd [2000]CA BLR247.  There is a discussion on the case at http://www.atkinson-law.com/library/article.php?id=292  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott