Construction Law/Claification on Cl 12.3 (iii) FIDIC 1999

Question
Dear Sir,
How does the contractor justify change in cost per unit of the item under cl 12.3(iii) of FIDIC?
By the change in cost I understand the change in basic cost of material purchased.Is that correct?
If there is no schedule of basic rates provided in the contract,how does a contractor go about justifying the cost at the time of tender with relation to the change in cost later during the execution of contract?
Will it be necessary to provide proof of cost of the item to the Engineer?
Kindly advice.
Thanking you
Abdul

Answer
Dear Abdul,

Remember, all four conditions of clause 12.3 a must be fulfilled before you can adjust a rate, not just 12.3 a (iii).  The change in cost can be affected by all inputs into the BoQ rate, including, as applicable, labour, plant materials, on-site overheads, off-site overheads, profit and financing costs.  Generally, an increase in quantities will lead to a decrease in the rate, either through the economies of scale or over recovery of overheads. You do not have to justify the tender rates, but you do have to justify the changes.   

The Engineer will generally require proof of the change in cost.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott