Construction Law/Claification on Cl 12.3 FIDIC 1999

Question
Dear Sir,
kindly advice if cl 12.3 (i)is applicable to both increase and/or decrease in quantity of the BOQ items or re-evaluation is applicable on items with decrease only?
If  many items have increased in quantity and many have decreased what happens in this case? Can the Contractor still ask for re-evaluation of rates?
Thanking you
Abdul

Answer
Dear Abdul,

Clause 12.3 is applicable for both increases and decreases.  Please remember that all four conditions must be fulfilled before a rate is amended.  Considering that all four conditions must be fulfilled, it is unlikely that there will be many items to amend. If the quantity is increased, then the rate is likely to be reduced to prevent over recovery of overheads, or due to the economies of scale.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott