Construction Law/roof in Aurora Colorado

Question
It hailed and a roofing contractor contacted me. I singed an agreement with no numbers. I became uneasy and cancelled the contract by phone to the company and there representative. I hired another company who was slow. Three months later the first company installed my new roof. The second company said they put it on. I get a call from the first stating they put it on. I told the first that I was under contract with someone else and cancelled there's and they should not have been on my roof. I called the city inspector for roofs. The new roof is no good. It failed, the nails went all the way through the tiles. They installed it on a cold day and the tile are wrinkly and can blow away in a strong wind. The second company released me from my contract. What are my obligations with the first roofer when I do not want him to touch my roof?

Answer
Dear Patricia,

The problem with these natural disasters is that the good contractors get busy very fast and the cowboy builders move in to close the gap and make a quick profit.  

I would say that you owe the first contractor nothing, but rather he owes you.  He has done work which is not fit for purpose.  Before he can charge you anything, he must repair the work and remove all leaks and replace all substandard materials.  You might even have a case for trespass. However, once he has repaired all the poor work, then you would be liable to pay him.  

Your real problem is how to get an acceptable roof, especially if the first contractor refuses to repair his work.  It will probably be more expensive, as any contractor would have to remove the existing roof before installing a new one.  I suggest that you have a word with your local better business bureau about your alternatives.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott