Construction Law/EOT due to rain

Question
QUESTION: Dear Peter,
Recently, though the consultant believes the Contractor can work with the current climatic condition, the Contractor is claiming he was unable to work due to rainfall ranging from 1mm to 30mm. Is there any figure that i can consider as a minimum number? I remember in few project as 7mm. To add more, the Contractor in his program he planned for working hours of 5 hours out of the normal 8 hours.
Kind regards,

ANSWER: Dear Aman,

You do not mention the form of contract nor the applicable law, so the following comments will be general in nature.  

I do not know of any minimum value for rainfall to affect progress.  Most contracts talk about adverse weather, which it is generally considered to mean worse than the average of the past ten years.  It would seem that in your case, the Contractor would have to prove his delays by detailed records of the stoppage for each day and each section of the works, and that he could not work the programmed 5 hours per day.  .  

QUESTION: Dear Peter,
I thank you so much for your response. To give more information, our project is a road project of Harmonized Fidic 2005. By the way in our contract it does not clarify if it should be worse than the average of the past ten years.
Kind regards,

Answer
Dear Aman,

Clause 8.4 (c) exceptionally adverse climatic conditions is relevant.  How to define 'exceptionally adverse climatic conditions'?  Generally it is accepted that the climatic conditions are worse than the average of the past 10 years, based on the premise that the Contractor will have allowed for normal climatic conditions when pricing his offer.  If the Contractor wishes to present an alternative standard, then he must provide the necessary evidence, including case law.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott