Construction Law/FIDIC Yellow Book - Delay Damages

Question
We are using the FIDIC Yellow Book to manage a design-build contract for construction of an international hotel in Guyana, South America.
The Contractor was defaulted and delay damages were applied at the contract rate; a Taking Over Certificate was subsequently issued when the Works were 99% completed and the hotel was placed into operation.
With 1% of the Works still outstanding, can the same rate be applied for delay damages after the aforementioned take over or must this be done at a reduced date (based on the value of remaining Works to be done)?

In my view, since the hotel is in use and earning money, the rate should be reduced. The remaining Works are affecting the execution of an additional contract to further enhance the property but is not significantly affecting income generation but the Employer want to make deductions at the contract rate.

Regards

Paul Bonar

Nov. 16 2015

Answer
Dear Paul,

Clause 8.7 is relevant.  I see no contractual justification for imposing delay damages once the Taking Over Certificate has been issued.  If it were possible to apply delay damages, they would be limited to a proportion related to the proportion of unfinished work; i.e. 1% of value unfinished, damages of 1% of the specified daily rate.  However, the Employer may be able to get damages through the legal system for any actual losses caused by the unfinished works.  Should the Employer insist in applying any penalties, then he runs the risk of a claim from the Contractor and the obligation to pay interest on repayment of the deducted amounts.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott