Construction Law/Client Consultant issues affect Contractor

Question
We are Consultants performing supervision services on a middle east project under the White Book FIDIC form of contract.

The works are delayed due to circumstances beyond contractors control. The works are 80% complete, but the client will not sanction additional budgets for consultants supervision, resulting in an imminent demobilization of half of the supervision team.

We have notified the client of the demobilization schedule and how the works may be affected.

We feel it is our obligation to inform the contractor too. Is it OK to do so, or will there be repercussions against us.

Answer
Hi Jaison,

Apology as I am on vacation now and seldom had an opportunity to check my inbox. I hope you had a happy holidays.

Let us present the two (2) contracts:

Client x Consultant = FIDIC White Book
Client x Contractor = Not Specified

It is demonstrated on the above presentation that the Consultant has nothing to do with the Contract executed between the Client and Contractor. Such issue shall be dealt between the parties involved.

Generally speaking (considering that the Contract between Client and Contractor was not specified), the Client shall only notify the Contractor in case of replacement of appointed Consultant. Meaning, the Client has to notify the Contractor about the demobilization in the same manner that the Client notify the Contractor the appointment of  Supervision Consultant (your organization). It is not your obligation to inform the Contractor, much more that the case is only reduction of manpower and not replacement of Consultant.

What matters in Contractor's perspective is that they will be able to obtain the approvals/comments/recommendation/certification, etc., within the duration specified in the Contract, regardless of the size of your organization or whoever execute the supervision. The Contractor will just claim in case of failure by other party to provide the same within the specified duration. In other words, the risk falls under the responsibility of the Client.

To answer your question, it is not your obligation to inform the Contractor about the changes in your organization. Let the Client notify the Contractor, if they think it is necessary.

Kind regards,

Rofel Ningal

Construction Law

Rofel Ningal