Construction Law/Client Consultant issues affecting Contractor

Question
We are Consultants performing supervision services on a middle east project under the White Book FIDIC form of contract.

The works are delayed due to circumstances beyond contractors control. The works are 80% complete, but the client will not sanction additional budgets for consultants supervision, resulting in an imminent demobilization of half of the supervision team.

We have notified the client of the demobilization schedule and how the works may be affected.

We feel it is our obligation to inform the contractor too. Is it OK to do so, or will there be repercussions against us.

Answer
Dear Jaison,

It is not unusual for the Employer to refuse to allocate extra funds to the Engineer, if a project is delayed or the supervision budget has been exceeded.  In this instance, you have to do the best that you can.  There are some differences between FIDIC 4 and FIDIC 99 with regard to changing the Engineer.  

Consider why you would inform the Contractor.  If you hoping to pressure the Employer to extend your services, forget it.  I think that it right to tell him that you will be demobilising half your staff and that there will be further reductions in staff, without giving a reason.  Then he will understand why you are pressing him to produce end of contract documentation, such as final measurements and O&M manuals, if required.  Whether or not there will be repercussions depends on your relationships with the Employer and the Contractor.  Make sure that you have copies of all documentation off shore in your head office.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott