You are here:

Construction Law/Interim Payment Certificate



Hope you are fine and good.

My Question is that:

If Contractor submits Interim Payment Certificate(IPC) after issuance of Taking Over Certificate of the Project. Should it be accepted for payment or it should be returned and the Contractor should be asked to Submit the Statement at Completion as per Clause 14.10. ? Can Employer return the IPC on this excuse.


Abdul Waheed

ANSWER: Hello, Sir,
I am good, thank you for asking :)
There is nothing in the Contract to forbid the Contractor to send Interim Payment Applications and the Engineer to issue Interim Payment Certificates after the issuance of Taking Over Certificate. In fact, only before the Taking Over the Engineer cannot be forced to issue Interim Payment Certificates with a lower value than the minimum amount stated in the Appendix to Tender - the Engineer can issue such certificates, but cannot be force to do it BEFORE the Taking Over. There are no restrictions AFTER the Taking Over.
So, the IPCs issued after the Taking Over should be accepted for payment, according to 14.7 and should not be returned, otherwise 16.1 and 16.2 can apply.
Best regards,

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for earliest reply.

But as i understand (obviously not an experts understanding)
The Clause 14.10 becomes effective for submission of payment certificates after issuance of Taking Over Certificate (TOC) and the Clause 14.3 accordingly becomes ineffective as was Clause 14.10 before TOC.

I request your much valued Expert Comments please.

Abdul Waheed

There is no such restriction in the Contract. Read carefully the Sub-clauses 14.3 and 14.6 bearing in mind that the Contractor in is the Defect Notification Period, after the Taking Over of the Works and there are, still, some works to be done before the Final Taking Over: you will see that nothing in 14.3 and in 14.6 forbid the Contractor to issue IPAs and the Engineer to issue IPCs. Consequently - read 14.7 keeping the same thing in mind - the Employer must pay according to 14.7.

Construction Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alina Valentina Oprea


I can answer to questions regarding FIDIC 1999 contracts, including practical use of these conditions of contract, as well as to questions regarding dispute boards, both from theoretical and practical point of view. I cannot answer to questions related to other kind of contracts or to procurement process, except to some (limited) extent.


Implementation of works contracts (FIDIC 1999) financed by different financial institutions, including European Union; claims and disputes; dispute boards See more on

Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

see ; DRBF Forum Newsletter; Drumuri si Poduri; Revista Constructiilor; SIDiR Newsletter

Graduated the University of Civil Engineering Bucharest, Faculty of Railways, Roads and Bridges (1985-1990); Trained under Mr. Gwyn Owen’s pupilage program for arbitrators/adjudicators under FIDIC mentoring program (2006 – 2007)

©2017 All rights reserved.