Construction Law/Liquidated damages vs. Contract price

Question
Contract Fines
Contract Fines  
Dear Sir

1- if the contract is remeasured with original contracted amount = X , then at the end of the project the contract amount shall be Y (after implementing the actual quantities and applying variations , claims , etc)
In view of the the relevant contract clauses, the max liquidated damages (fines) shall be 10% of X or Y?

2- if the applicable law states the following: "the final payment certificate, which shouldn't be less than 10% , will be released after taking over the Works from the Contractor" ... how do you understand this 10% ? 10% of which amount ?

Thank you Sir

Answer
Dear Khaled,

1.  The devil is in the detail, as always.  The fines are applied to the total value of the contract.  The total value of the contract shall be subject to an increase or decrease .....  Thus the value Y is used for the calculation of fines.  There is a problem that there are two definitions of the value of the contract, but the later definition rules.  In FIDIC, this problem is resolved by defining different two values, the Accepted Contract Sum, the accepted offer, and the Contract Price, which includes the Accepted Contract Sum plus all variations and re-measurements.

2.  I do not understand this question.  Does it refer to the 'final certificate' or the release of retention?  In any case, the operative word is 'shouldn't', which defines a desire rather than an obligation.  Thus the final certificate can be any value that is appropriate.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott