Construction Law/Sub-clause 12.3 c of Fidic Red Book

Question
Hi there.  I would just like to ask regarding Sub-clause 12.3 - Evaluation Item c - Applying new rates

"No specified rate or price is appropriate because the item of work is not of similar character, or is not executed under similar conditions, as any item in the Contract.

Could you please explain elaborately the meaning of "similar characted" and "not executed under similar condition".

Appreciate your expertise advice.

Thank you.

Answer
Dear Dwight Balmaceda,

This clause causes some irritation during implementation of a project; the Engineer says a new item is similar and thus contract rates apply, at least as a basis for the new rate; the Contractor says it is not similar and thus new (higher?) rates apply.  Neither party needs to be too rigid as the court will decide, after much expense on lawyers, to the chagrin of both parties.  I have not been able to find any legal references, so I'll try to give some examples as I understand similar.

Similar character - an in situ reinforced concrete wall 150 mm thick would be a similar character to a wall 300 mm thick, but might not be similar to a concrete block wall 200 mm thick.

Similar condition - an excavation for a mass concrete foundation base 500 mm by 500 mm by 500 mm deep excavated from the existing ground level might be a similar condition to an excavation for a reinforced concrete foundation 1 m by 1 m by 1m excavated 0.5 m below existing ground level, but not be similar to excavation for a raft foundation 50 m by 50 m by .25 m excavated 5 m below existing ground level.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott