Construction Law/Variation-Amendement?

Question
Dear Florin,

Hope you are doing fine.

It has been so long since my question last time.

My question today is:

Whether an amendment to a sub-contracting agreement would be required if the main Contractor omits by mutual agreement certain, considerable rather, works? In fact, the agreement took place orally.

Or that a variation Order shall be signed?

What is the difference? Which one should be done- Variation Order or Amendment and how?

Being deeply indebted in advance to hearing your expert advice, as usual of course,  I remain

Alemu

Answer
Hi Alemu,

Good to hear from you, thank you for your new question.

I am not sure I fully understand your "telegraphic" question, but:

1. I suspect you refer to certain works that a Sub-Contractor was supposed to execute.

2. No oral deals!!! Always put everything in writing!!! "Verba volant, scripta manent", which in Latin means words fly, written stays.

Now, I can only assume your sub-contracting agreement is back-to-back with your main contract. As presumably under your main contract, the Employer can omit whatever works they please, except for executing them themselves or hire someone else, so should provide your sub-contracting agreement.

If that is the case, then you simply issue a similar Variation Order, for the sub-contractor to omit those works.

If not, please provide details on that sub-contracting agreement and will gladly develop my answer.

Hope that helps.

Construction Law

Florin NICULESCU