Construction Law/Tender Appendix- Engineer Name

Question
Dear Peter,
In a contract based on FIDIC 1999, tender appendix is left blank after signature. Who is supposed to be the Engineer as there are two Employer's consultancy companies involved? Only one is site based.

Answer
Dear Mario,

I cannot answer this question in detail without sight of the contract documents.  However, here are my thoughts.

This problem should have been resolved through a question during the tender period, or at least prior to signature of the Contract.  In the absence of any instruction from the Employer, I suggest that you give notice to the Employer of the absence of any clarity and asking who is the responsible person in his organisation.  All queries and submissions should be sent direct to the Employer.  Should either of the Employer's consultancy companies issue instruction to you, then you can ask for their letter of authority allowing them to issue instructions on behalf of the Employer, but otherwise ignore their instructions, as there is no certainty that you will get paid.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott