Construction Law/69.1

Question
WE ARE THE CONTRACTORS AND WORKING ON A ROAD PROJECT, UNDER FIDIC 1987, THE ENGINEER OF THE PROJECT NEVER GIVEN ANY DECISION IN 21 MONTHS AND ON OUR REQUEST EMPLOYER REMOVED THE THAN ENGINEER. THE PROJECT TIME WAS 24 MONTHS BY SITE WAS MORE OFTEN OFF DUE TO LAW AND ORDER SITUATION , AND EMPLOYER ALSO CONFIRMED IN WRITING THAT LAWA AND ORDER SITUATION EXISTS. NOW EMPLOYER IS NOT HAPPY WITH THE NEW ENGINEER AND JUST WROTE A LETTER TO HIM THAT HE IS DEMOBILIZED. WE ARE PLANNING TO WRITE TO THE EMPLOYER THAT,EMPLOYER HAS NO ABILITY TO REMOVE ENGINEER AS PER FIDIC 4TH EDITION AND EMPLOYER IS ALSO INTERFERING AS PER CLAUSE 69.1 OF coc.
Can we go for notice,under clause 69.1b(interfering, obstructing etc. and what could be consequences.

Answer
Dear Masood,

You cannot ask the Employer to remove the Engineer and agree to his removal and then complain if the Employer does the same thing with the next Engineer.  In fact there is no provision in FIDIC 87 for the removal of the Engineer.  If the Engineer is removed, then it should be an amendment to the Contract, which is signed by both the Employer and the Contractor, but it is too late for that now.

Following your earlier actions, I would say that you have no chance under clause 69.1b.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott