Construction Law/Delayed Instructions

Dear Sir,
We are Main Contractor for a Road Project which refers FIDIC 2005 Harmonized Version.
There are causes for delays due to delay in issuance of Instructions. We have notified each and every case in time as stipulated in Cl 20.1.While executing these works parallel to works in other areas  now the Engineer exclude these cases-delayed instruction matters  for completion  before TOC and asked us to carry out during DLP.
1. Can they exclude only their delays and impose us LD for highlighting our delays (even same items-foot walks is an item the Employer needed to be completed. We had to skip some areas adjacent to problematic areas until instructions are received. Once the same is received and exclude from TOC, they try to apply LD sating that adjacent areas are not completed.
2.If EOT is not granted as it is not necessary since TOC is issued and then how we can recover additional expenses( prolongation cost ) for completing items in these delayed Instructions.
Please explain the contractual situation and how that to be handled.
Thank you.

Dear Rohana,

Thank you for this question.

From your narrative what the Employer is trying to do seems unconscionable. Whilst minor works may be executed, by agreement, during the DLP, I tend to agree with your analysis that the Employer is seeking to avoid its liability for delays.

Without knowing details of the events and considering any delay analysis that has been performed, I cannot say what the proper position would be. At this time, I do suggest that you consider making the issue of TOC, instructions, extension of time and the DLP matters for consideration by a DAB.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister