Construction Law/FIDIC Red Book 1999 - Appointment of Designer as Engineer

Question
Dear Rofel,

1- Employer has engaged a Design Firm (X) to Design the Infrastructure works of its Project.
2 - Employer wants to engage with a Contractor to execute the Infrastructure Works under FIDIC 99 Red Book.
3- Can Employer nominate and appoint Design Firm X as the Engineer to the FIDIC contract?
4- I know that under FIDIC 99 the Engineer now works for the Employer and is no longer required to be impartial but wouldn't the Contractor object to the Engineer being the party who designed the Works having to also be the judge when Contractor complains to the Employer about Design issues?

Cheers,

Answer
Dear Walid,

Thank you for raising these sensible questions.

Q1: Can Employer nominate and appoint Design Firm X as the Engineer to the FIDIC contract?

I did not find any restrictions for the appointment of the Designer (i.e. Design Firm X in your case) to act as the Engineer during construction period under FIDIC Red Book (First Edition 1999).

If Design Firm X meets the requirement for the role of Engineer under FIDIC Red Book (First Edition 1999) (i.e. suitable qualified engineers and other professionals who are competent…), then the answer to your question would be: Yes, the Employer has the right to appoint Design Firm X as the Engineer under your Contract.

Q2: Under FIDIC 99 the Engineer now works for the Employer and is no longer required to be impartial but wouldn't the Contractor object to the Engineer being the party who designed the Works having to also be the judge when Contractor complains to the Employer about Design issues?

Raising objection for the appointment of Design Firm X as Engineer due to reason stated in your question (i.e. being the Designer) and without providing supporting particulars is more political than technical. This may be considered as unreasonable objection.

FIDIC Red Book (First Edition 1999) however, protects the right of the Contractor as well as Employer under Sub-Clause 1.8. The Contractor (or Employer) may notify the Employer (or Contractor) for any error or defect whatsoever related to the design:

“if a Party becomes aware of an error or defect of a technical nature in a document which was prepared for use in executing the Works, the Party shall promptly give notice to the other Party of such error or defect.”

Although I recognize that Engineer’s impartiality is not explicitly stipulated under New Red Book aka FIDIC Red Book (First Edition 1999), the Engineer is still under obligation to provide fair determination in accordance with the Contract under Sub-Clause 3.5.

In case of dissatisfaction on Engineer’s Decision, the Contractor may, under applicable clauses of FIDIC Red Book (First Edition 1999), refer the matter to DAB (if agreed by other party) to obtain impartial decision. If dissatisfied with DAB’s decision, the Contractor may thereafter proceed with Amicable Settlement and ultimately to Arbitration.

Conclusion:

On the positive note, the Project may benefit the appointment of Design Firm X as Engineer as they are more aware of the details of the design.

Finally, we have to consider that successful completion of the Project is an utmost important objective by the Employer. The Employer will not sacrifice the quality of work, the timely completion of the Project, the collaborative working environment and the like due to impartial decisions.

I hope that the above clarifications address your questions.

Kind regards,

Rofel Ningal  

Construction Law

Rofel Ningal