Construction Law/Termination Slow progress

Question
We are working as employers on a sub stations and our contract is based on  totally modified FIDIC 99 edition. Before asking my question let me brief you with the history.A contract was awarded to the contractor on 27-02-2014 with a duration of 2 years & with a warranty of 2 years due to the delay in progress conducted a meeting in the begining of january 2015 & agreed by contractor to submit recovery programme & promised to complete within the time schedule but till today progress in only 5% as compared to programme of works 55% .As a employer shall i proceed to terminate the contract as per clauses of conditions of contract.Please comment

Answer
Dear Shoaib,

I well come to your Question.Here is my answer and comments.

I could not understand whether your Contact is based on FIDIC 1999 or in some other form of Contract. Any how, in all Contracts,provision always exists for termination of Contract by the Employer. If you are following FIDIC 1999 Contract,then before termination,we have to follow some prerequisite which are stated here under:
1 Sufficient Letters from the Engineer for slow progress of work under Clause 8.6[Rate of Progress] to the Contractor with the instruction to submit, a revised programme[under Sub-Clause8.3] and supporting report describing the revised method in order to expedite progress and complete the work within Time for Completion.
2.Notice  to Correct under Sub-Clause 15.1 by the Engineer to the Contractor with some  defined target with specific time frame---and if the Contractor still did not improve the Progress of works,
then the Employer under Sub-Clause 15.2 is entitled to terminate the contract.

If your Contract have some other provisions, you will proceed accordingly.In case of any further clarification,please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Engr.Arshad Mahmood

Construction Law

Arshad Mahmood