Construction Law/EoT

Question
Hello Mr. Elliot,

Whilst awaiting a building permit for which we will be awarded an EoT, we undertook excavation works and substructure works, basically we worked for 7 months until receiving the permit. We advised the client that this was our risk and they also paid us for the work carried out.
When determining the EoT, is the client obliged to deduct the works we undertook at our risk?

Thank you,

BG

Answer
Dear Brian,

You do not mention the form of contract, nor the applicable law, so the following comments are generic in nature.  In all matters regarding EoT, I suggest that people download and study the SCL Delay and Disruption Protocol, and give a copy to their counterpart, www.eotprotocol.com so that all parties are working to the same guidelines. In order to get an EoT, you must prove that an activity on the critical path was delayed by the Client's action or inaction.

Obliged? Strange choice of word.  In the main, the Client is obliged to follow the Contract.  We are discussing time, not money, and the Client's obligation is to return you to the state that you would have been in, had the event not occurred.  I presume that you are claiming 7 months EoT due to the delay in getting the permit.  I suggest that it would be reasonable to make an allowance for the work done during the first seven months, especially as you have been paid for your work.  The size of the allowance is up for discussion and I suggest that you tread gently at this stage.  Get the critical path analysis done and support your claim with an objective analysis.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott