Construction Law/FIDIC FOURTH EDITION 1987 - Post Taking Over Cert Instructions

Question
Hello,

I am currently administering a FIDIC FOURTH EDITION 1987 FOR WORKS OF CIVIL ENGINEERING CONSTRUCTION as an MEP Subcontractor and have received a taking-over-certificate (TOC) from the Main Contractor for the Works.

I am continuing to receive instruction from the Contractor.

FIDIC FOURTH EDITION 1987 is silent on whether instruction can be given up to the TOC or up to the end of the Defect Liability Period.

I want to reject the instruction I am receiving.

Any advice?

Answer
Dear Sean,Really very sorry for late answering.

It is not clear from your Q, whether you are a nominated Sub-Contractor or simple sub-contractor and what are the terms and conditions in your Sub-Contract.Generally after TOC,,sub-contractor is responsible  for the minor outstanding works during DLP or any other defects in Works arose after TOC but before DLP.
However,Sub-Contractor may refuse for additional works,instructed by the Engineer during DLP. For this purpose,a sub-Contractor may say that he has demobilized his major resources and it is too difficult for him to execute additional work on the same rates and prices available in the BoQ. Thus, you may either refuse or demand for higher rates,if the Contractor is still instructing for some works.Any further query will be appreciated.

Regards

Engr.Arshad Mahmood

Construction Law

Arshad Mahmood