Construction Law/FIDIC FOURTH EDITION 1987 - Post Taking Over Cert Instructions

Question
Hi Peter,

I am currently administering a FIDIC FOURTH EDITION 1987 FOR WORKS OF CIVIL ENGINEERING CONSTRUCTION as an MEP Subcontractor and have received a taking-over-certificate (TOC) from the Main Contractor for the Works.

I am continuing to receive instruction from the Contractor.

FIDIC FOURTH EDITION 1987 is silent on whether instruction can be given up to the TOC or up to the end of the Defect Liability Period.

I want to reject the instruction I am receiving.

Any advice?

Answer
Dear Sean,

My understanding of FIDIC 4 is that the Engineer can issue instruction during the defects notification period only for remedial works.  The same restriction would apply to a subcontract on similar principles.  If you are getting instructions for extra work, then you could treat them as a separate contract and renegotiate your rates.  However, in all cases tread gently to ensure that good relationships are maintained.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott