Construction Law/clause 52.3

Question
does the addition/omission for the variations exceeding 15% of the effective contract sum, includes the preliminaries or only the overhead for site?
because the Contractor is claiming for additional prelims to each variation that he submits.
thank u

Answer
Dear Ruba,
This clause is generally invoked at the time of TOC. If at the end of the project, it is found that the variations amount to more than 15% of the contract price (as adjusted), an addition or omission to the contract sum may be agreed or determined by the Engineer in respect of the Contractor's overheads.The Contractor may claim that his overhead cost has increased due to variations and he has incurred additional cost.In such  case, the Engineer will determine  and adjust the Contract Price accordingly.
Now coming to your specific Q,the Contractor should avoid and  not include the additional Prelims in each variation but he may consider his site overhead and other on cost,if he has brought additional resources for the instructed works.But it is debatable and depends upon the actual scenario at Site in accordance with the additional  work instructed and when it was instructed by the Engineer.
Let me know if you have any further questions or if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards

Engr.Arshad Mahmood

Construction Law

Arshad Mahmood