Construction Law/increase and decrease in Contract Price

Question
Dear Sir

In old red book as well as in some bespoke Contracts as in Governmental Contracts in Saudi Arabia, there are a maximum and a minimum limit to increase or decrease the overall Contract Price for re-measurable Contracts. For example, in Saudi Arabia the maximum limit to increase is 10% and to decrease is 20%. My question is;
1- Do these limits apply on any changes may take place as variances in actual quantities rather than the estimated quantities in BOQ as well as also in variation order values and claims?
OR this condition is set only to cover any potential variances in actual quantities since the BOQ quantities are only estimated (i.e. variation order values/claims don't undergo those limits and their budgets could be different)

Thank you,

Khaled

Answer
Dear Khaled,

I have no knowledge or experience of contracts in Saudi Arabia, but I will try to answer your question.

Let us consider the position of the government when it funds a project. The funds will come from a external funder (banks or whatever) or the budget.  In either case, the funds will be limited.  If the project exceeds the available funds, then the Employer will need to get more funds which might take time and might be politically difficult.  Thus the Employer limits the total cost of the budget.  Thus any limits will include all increases of costs from whatever source.  If the quantities are calculated incorrectly or if there are delays attributable to the Employer, which lead to increased costs, then these costs will be included in the limits stated by the Employer.  The Engineer and the Contractor must work to keep the costs within the limits stated, even if it means omitting sections of the Works, which could cause other problems.

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott