Construction Law/Insurance

Hi Peter,

I have a question regarding FIDIC 2005 MDB harmonised condition in relation to Insurances and design risk.

In accordance with Sub-Clause 18.2 (d)  Insurances shall also cover loss or damage from the risks listed in sub paragraphs ( c), (g) and (h) of sub-clause 17.3 (Employers risks).

I am particularly interested in the consequences of the above Sub-Clause in respect of Sub-Clause 17.3 (g) "design of any part of the Works by the Employers Personnel or by others for whom the Employer is responsible"

Therefore it is my understanding that in accordance with the Contract the Contractor's Works insurance has to cover loss or damage resulting from the Employer's design.

If this is the case then theoretically the Employer or the Contractor can claim against the Contractor's insurance for any financial loss resulting from any issue/fault/omission in the Employer's design including time related delay costs. Of course such claims would be limited by suitable wording of the insurance policy.

I would appreciate your comments on this issue and in particular some help in understanding what the real intention of the Contract is in respect of the Contractor effectively insuring both parties against the consequences of defects in the Employer's design.

Kind regards

Dear Peter,

I am not sure that I understand your question.  Clause 18.2 (e) modifies the requirements of clause 18.2 (d).  The insurance is 'excluding (in each case) risks which are not insurable at commercially reasonable terms'.  I would expect the Employer to require the designer to have sufficient PII to cover any design faults and consequential losses, if such an insurance was commercially available.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott

First response to queries regarding extensions of time, variations orders, site instructions and payment using FIDIC and other forms of Conditions of Contract, based on English Law, and derivatives only. Anyone who needs advice about EoT should download and study the SCL Delay & Disruption Protocol before submitting a question.

Value . . .
It's unwise to pay too much, but it's unwise to pay too little. When you pay too much you lose a little money, that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it's well to add something for the risk you run.
And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
. . . John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
"We are too poor to buy something cheap"
.Romanian Proverb 2002
A lean compromise is better than a fat lawsuit. George Herbert (English poet 1593-1633)
I said it in Hebrew, I said it in Dutch,
I said it in German and Greek:
But I wholly forgot (and it vexes me much)
That English is what you speak!" Hunting of the Snark - Lewis Caroll
Match your presentation to the reader!
The joy of food lasts but an hour, of sleep but a day, of a woman, but a month, but the joy of a building lasts a lifetime. Syrian proverb.
Comments and observations leading to improvements in the translation of FIDIC Red & Yellow books into Romanian prior to approval by FIDIC (reference 'Preface to the Romanian edition')

Institution of Civil Engineers, Association of Chartered and Certified Accountants, Society of Construction Law, Dispute Resolution Board Foundation

B Sc(Hons) in Civil Engineering