Construction Law/Loss of OH & P

Question
Hi ,Dear Sir,
We are the Main Contractor for Road construction project to which FIDIC May 2005 MDB Harmonized edition is applicable.it is a re-measured contract.
Original Contract price 600 US $ Million and final contract sum is 450 US $ Million due to reduction in quantities of BOQ at actual execution.
Meantime some of critical items were increased (Asphalt Surfacing Works) and EOT was approved by the Employer.
1. Part of the Overhead (OH) and Profit planned from the Contract has lost due to reduction of Contract price.
2. Additional OH has incurred due to prolongation.
Can you please provide points to handle the proper contractual claim such as loss of overhead and applicability of Cl 12.3 (a) and 12.4 w.r.t this situation.
We have already given the notices(Cl 20.1) for loss of OH and Profit due to reduction in Contract price and additional payment for prolongation.
Thank you
Rohana

Answer
Dear Rohana,

Considering the value of the works, this question is a bit beyond the scope of this service.  I suggest that you engage professional advice to prepare your claim.  However, I will do my best to start you off.  

A claim for loss of overheads and profit is a difficult one to win.  You have to show audited accounts for several years and the profit is based on the profit shown in those accounts. The4n you have to prove that you refused work, usually with minuted records of the main board, because you were committed to the relevant project.

There are several accepted formulae for calculating off site overheads.  They all give different values so you must pick the one you like and can defend.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott