Construction Law/Value of Contract & Value of Works

Question
Dear Engr. Arshad Mehmood
Thanks for the volunteer services being shared by your expertise;

I have one question: In the Lumpsum type of Contract some works are covered under direct execution by the Contractor however the execution of other works e.g. Design of the Project and supply and installation of Medical equipment, etc.etc. are being arranged by the Employer through their nominated contractors however their payment is deducted through the Main Contractor's IPC  by including their work done as per execution. My specific question is either all will be covered under the definition of works or the only direct part under execution by the Main Contractor will form "Works". Because the "Value of Contract" represents the total cost however  some part of that cost is just paid to the design firm or other Contractor/supplier with no profit and no loss basis.

Looking forward, best regards

Answer
Dear Sheraz,

Generally, in Lumpsum Contracts,there should be no work to be executed by the Employer through his nominated contractor.In the Contracts, where some works are required to be executed through nominated contractor,the main Contractor receives  a reasonable %age on the  net certified  amount of works executed by the nominated sub-contractor.Perhaps this is not the case in your Contract.

Now coming to your  specific question, in my opinion all the works will be included in the scope of Work of the main Contractor and the works pertaining to design or others can not be treated as separate works but are the parts of the Works of the main Contractor as per TOR of your Contract.
Any further clarification will be always well come, if required, in this regard.

Regards
Engr. Arshad Mahmood

Construction Law

Arshad Mahmood