Construction Law/Admissibility of Expenses

Question
Hi Mike

I would welcome your opinion on whether an employees meal expenses should be admitted as a part of "Travel Expenses" within a cost recovery claim under FIDIC 99. Air fares and hotel costs are probably accepted, but it is argued that as food would be necessary whether the individual was working in his home office or was required to travel overseas for meetings and the like the costs do not arise as a direct result of the claim circumstance.

Answer
Hi Keith
Interesting question.
The meal expenses in restaurants would inevitably cost more than domestic expenditure.
Provided it was not excessive - champagne and caviar style - I would argue that meals on business trips is a valid cost to include in a claim.
Some companies have a fixed daily subsistence allowance and that would be a reasonable approach.

If the costs were incurred as part of the claim submission then they would normally all be disallowed.

Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro