Construction Law/As Built Documents and Inventories

Question
QUESTION: What documents should be submitted by the Contractor at the time of Handing Over of a completed Ductile Iron Water Supply Main Pipe Line ? (As per FIDIC Plant and Design Build 1999)

ANSWER: Dear Abdul,

The documents submitted should include the following:-
- documents specified in the Employer's Requirements, which must therefore specify the documents which the Employer requires the Contractor to submit;
- all design calculations;
- documents which are required to satisfy regulatory approvals, irrespective of whether they are specified in the Employer's Requirements, and
- as-built documents and operation and maintenance manuals (in sufficient detail for the Employer to operate, maintain, dismantle, reassemble, adjust and repair the Plant) under Sub-Clauses 5.6 and 5.7, which may be elaborated in the Employer's Requirements.

QUESTION: Thank you for earliest and efficient response.

Please Clarify that the Original Warranty Cards/Slips issued to the Contractor by the Equipment Manufacturer are also to be handed over to the Employer by the Contractor in Original ? or any other similar record etc.

Have a good day sir

Answer
Dear Abdul,

It depends on the wording of the contract and the wording of the warranties.  If the warranties are in the name of the Contractor, then they should remain with the Contractor.  There is an advantage in getting the originals if you think that the Contractor will disappear before the warranties expire.  You should check the duration of any warranties, because many start when the equipment is installed in the project, not at the end of the defects liability period.  Also the applicable law could specify who is to have the warranties.  

You could look at this article for more information https://www.hcc.com/DivisionsProducts/HCCSpecialty/Products/ProfessionalLiability/ArchitectsEngineersContractorsProfLiability/RiskManagementLibrary/RiskManagementLibrary/APracticalGuidetoConstructionWarranties1/tabid/440/Default.aspx

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott