Construction Law/Insurance for Contractor’s Personnel

Could you please elaborate Sub Clause 18.4 of fidic red book harmonized version. Under this clause is employer to be insured ? this insurance is for for what risks ? also please give interpretation of this clause .

Dear Satyam,

Sub Clause 18.4 of FIDIC Red Book, 2010, MDB Harmonised Edition refers to [Insurance for Contractor’s Personnel].

This is the protection of Employer and the Engineer against claims, damages, losses and expenses (including legal fees and expenses) arising from injury, sickness, disease or death of any person employed by the Contractor or any other of the Contractor’s Personnel, except as stated in the Contract.

Simple Example:

One (1) personnel of Contractor's died during the course of construction (not caused by Employer). The Insurance Company will compensate for whatever damage, etc it has caused. The Employer will be free from any risks or claims from the Contractor because it is covered by the insurance.

I think you are confused of the phrase "The insurance shall cover the Employer and the Engineer...". but if you continue reading it and not stop on the word "Engineer", you will have a better picture of it.

I hope the above addresses your concern.

Kind regards,

Rofel Ningal

Construction Law

Rofel Ningal

Questions related to Construction Law, Conditions of Contract, Contract Terms & Conditions, Claims, Contract Administration, etc.

Having more than 10 years extensive experience in international companies, including working in the UAE, Qatar and Philippines, both for private and public sectors, such as, Government, Project Management, Consultancy and Construction provide a wider perspective in analyzing the issues related to Construction Law and the like to provide advice in a fair and reasonable manner, in accordance with the applicable Contract Terms and Conditions. The hands-on experience I had for preparing cost proposal for variations; daily correspondences protecting the rights of my organization under contract; preparation and finalization of contract/agreement; preparation, negotiation and finalization of claims for extension of time and associated cost, etc. will be useful to understand the details of every question asked. With experience working in a project administered by FIDIC Form of Contract (Red and Yellow), Public Works Authority (Qatar) Conditions of Contract, etc.

Philippine Institute of Certified Quantity Surveyors Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers

BSc in Civil Engineering - West Negros University MBA in Construction (Units only) - Manchester Business School Worldwide

Licensed Civil Engineer at the age of 20

Public Works Authority (Qatar), Roads & Transport Authority (UAE), Qatar Foundation (Qatar), Qatar Real Estate Investment Co., ALDAR Properties (UAE)