Construction Law/Lump sum contract & fidic red book 1999

Question
Dear femi,

we have project with those characteristics,a)form of contract fidic red book (1st edition) 1999,b) type of contract is Lump-Sum

under sub-clause 12.3 Evaluation in the form of contract  

This sub-clause describes the basic method of evaluating the work executed using bill rates and also describes how new rates shall be determined under certain conditions.

My question is as below:
1) In lump sum contract (fixed price contract)  all the items mentioned in the BOQ are fixed nevertheless they have unit rates (unit rates will be guidance for interim payments and evaluation of variation) subsequently the sub-clause is dealing with unit price contract and not applicable for lump sum contract?  ( exception  if there are change orders i.e variation )
Am I Right?

thanks

Answer
Dear MH,

Thanks again for your question.

Yes, under a lump sum contract governed by Fidic red book 1999, all quantities for items described under the contract are fixed and not subject to change unless there a variation instruction that changes the items of the works. Rates for items are also firmed up and not subject to change except when there is a variation  that changes the items in quantity or quality or workmanship and in sequence of execution and the ground for these changes would be properly analysed and evaluated.

Guess this is what you want to know.

Thanks

Femi  

Construction Law

Femi Alofe