Construction Law/claim delay analysis

Question
Dear Sir,

my quation regarding the contractor delay claim,is there is any standard mentioned the containt of the claim delay submital which should submitted by the contractor to anable the engineer and the designer to evaluate it.

Answer
Dear Joe,

Thank you for this question.

The short answer is no, there is no standard to follow; however the Contractor must prove his claim to the legal standard required in the jurisdiction applicable to the contract and prove his losses also. In terms of delay claims, if your contract does not specify how the delay should demonstrated then the Parties need to find (and, if possible, agree) a way that they both consider is reasonable.

Whatever the contractor submits the Engineer must review in a reasonable manner. If the contract is FIDIC based then he should engage both Parties before making his determination. Construction contracts and resolving disputes are still very much about co-operation if the parties want to avoid expensive dispute resolution processes.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to info@cerno.org, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to info@cerno.org (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)
_________________________________________________

Construction Law

John Dowse