Construction Law/Deference Between EPC & DB

Question
Dear Madam,
My main question is as below:
- What is the deference between EPC and DB contracts generally?
- What are advantage and disadvantage of mentioned contracts ?
- What is your suggestion regarding choosing one of mentioned contracts by client?
I'll be glad if I receive your helpful answers.
Thanks & Regards.

Mehdi Nejati

Answer
I will give you short answers here:
Differences:
The EPC contract does not foresee an Engineer (the DB has Engineer); the EPC regards the turn key projects: the Contractor receives specifications and supply a ready to use facility (in DB contract, the Contractor receive a design that he develop and build a facility according to it, under the supervision of an Engineer, which is part of the Employer's personnel); in the EPC contract the Employer's involvement during execution is lesser than in DB contract; in the EPC contract the time and money are more certain than in the DB contract; in the EPC contract the Contractor has more risks than in the DB contract; consequently, an EPC contract is more expensive, for the same facility, than a DB contract.
Advantages and disadvantages:
Some you saw above. I can underline that in the EPC contract the Employer knows from the beginning how much money it will cost the facility which he will get, but if he wants to be more involved in the project, the Employer should choose the DB contract.
Suggestion for choosing one or another from these contracts:
It depends on what the Client (Employer) wants. A Client that not want to be bothered continuously during the project execution would choose an EPC contract. If the Client is more careful with his money, he will want to choose a DB contract.
Hope these answers will be of help.
All the best!
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea