Construction Law/FIDIC 8.5

Question
I am working in a project as a Project Engineer, I have instructed my contractor to proceed do some work under provisional sums. He has followed the contract and submitted a delay notice regarding this works.

the activity is for external works and to me they are stand alone activities form the main works (Building). at the current moment the contractor dosent look like he will finish the original work on time irespetive of the work under provisional sum.

its it possible to award extension of time for the additional works alone or it will apply to the whole works?

Answer
If you don't have those works to which you want to award extension of time defined as a "Sector" in your Contract (see the Definitions chapter in the FIDIC Contract), then there is a sole Date of Completion and the extension of time given will apply to the whole Contract.
The extension of time can be given, according to the Contract, only for delays caused by events and circumstances which are not in the responsibility of the Contractor. If the Contractor delay himself (from causes in his responsibility) the works, he is not entitled to extension of time, but the Employer is entitled, subject to the clauses 2.5 and 8.7 of FIDIC 1999, to Delay Damages.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Alina

Construction Law

Alina Valentina Oprea