Construction Law/Minutes of Meetings

Dear Sir

Shall the minutes of meeting (MoM) signed by both parties of the Contract (Employer & Contractor)  ,either by each party's representative or each party's person who signed the original contract agreement (or his delegated person), if this MoM would be signed during the post contract stage; shall it be a part of the Contract even though there is some contradiction with it?
in another way, if the contractor signed that MoM which states that a certain third party shall judge a dispute between the two parties whereas in the contract; the disputes should go to a certain arbitration agent. Now, do the decisions of this third party shall be binding to the Contractor ? Or he can easily retreat his signature on the MoM tell that it is not matching with the Contract?

Thank you

Dear Khaled,

Thank you for this question.

If the MoM were signed before the contract was executed then the content may have a bearing on the contract; however where the MoM were signed after the contract the effect will depend upon the standing of those MoM under the contract.

Under a standard FIDIC contract, MoM are not binding when issued during the currency of the contract; sub-clause 1.3 requires that all instructions, etc. be in writing. This can change if the contract is not standard, for example the provision for minutes to be binding is made within the Particular Conditions or the Parties have reached separate agreement to that effect.

Is the signing of the minutes an administrative process only, to confirm their accuracy?

Otherwise the Parties can agree between themselves to vary the terms of the contract. It may be that your MoM reflect agreement to change the terms of the dispute resolution process. What was the purpose of the discussion at that time?

I am sorry that I cannot be more precise but I would need more information to be able to advise further.

I hope that this assists you.

Kind regards,
John Dowse

Follow me on Twitter: @CernoOrg
For my regular industry newsletter e-mail to, stating SUBSCRIBE in the subject line

Training and consulting services are available, bespoke to companies and individuals.
John Dowse can be contacted by e-mail to (When e-mailing, please include “AllExperts” in the subject line.)

Construction Law

John Dowse

Legal; contract interpretation; quantum; delay analysis. Practitioner in arbitration, adjudication and mediation.

Thirty-three (33) years experience in building and construction, at all levels both within contracting and consulting organisations. Practising arbitrator, adjudicator, and mediator. Faculty approved trainer for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Lecturer on construction contract forms and dispute resolution practices.

Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Institute of Directors Society of Construction Arbitrators

Various UK and International construction and legal publications.

LLB (Hons), Pg Dip (Legal Practice), MCInstCES MCIArb MIOD Barrister