Construction Law/SOR item Deletion

Question
Dear Mr Mike Testro,

I am working as site engineer in main contractor in Hong Kong. The constuction contract for alteration and additional work in the existing building is lump sum contract based on drawing and specification.

The Pricing Document is based on schedule of rates.
I have 2 questions:-

1. The Contract Drawing and Particular Spectification requires Fire damper works which is also stated as an SOR item (2nrs x $1000/nr) in Pricing Document. But we have not done it finally. Could the Employer issue VO to delete the works item for omission in payment valuation? if so or not, why?

2. The Contract drawing and spectification do not require Fire damper work which is stated as an item (2nrs x $1000/nr) in Pricing Document. But we have not done it finally. issue VO Could the Employer to delete the works item for omission in payment valuation? if so or not, why?

Thank you very much.

Rgds
Y T Lee

Answer
Dear Mr Lee
You state that it is a fixed price lump sum contract and then you suggest that the price can be adjusted by way of a VO.
It cannot be BOTH.
Does your contract allow for a VO to add cost to the fixed price lump sum?
If not then you cannot issue a VO to deduct money.
Be careful in any case because if you suddenly deduct money for work not done you will get 10 back for work done but not in the price.
Best regards
Mike Testro

Construction Law

Mike Testro