Construction Law/Care of the Works during Suspension

Question
Dear Sir, my question is related to FIDIC Conditions of Contract 1987 reprinted in 1992. On a highway construction project, the contractor suspended the Works under sub-clause 69.4 due to non-payment of IPCs and resumed after a certain period of time. During the suspension period, damages occurred to incomplete shoulders. The question is that who will be responsible for rectification of above-mentioned damages that have occurred during the suspension period i.e. the Contractor or Employer? It is pertinent to mention that the Contractor has also launched Extension of Time & idling charges claim for the suspension period.

Answer
Dear Tahir
Hello!
I am taking the opportunity to reply your question. During suspension contractor will be responsible for any damage to the work during suspension period under the conditions of contract. Contractor will be responsible for rectification of damaged incomplete work during suspension period. EOT case may seperately evaluated by the Engineer.

Construction Law

Sanjay Khandelwal